Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Updating my GM notebook

     Some time ago, I watched/listened to Glenn Hallstrom explain how he put his GM notebook together. Basically it is a place to put any important tables and lists you may need, as well as holding dice, index cards or whatever ephemera you can fit in there. Here is mine, of course I picked pale blue.
With my dog for contrast
     I have some pregens stuck in the front pocket, index cards and extra pencils (and a couple of dry erase markers) in the pouch.
     From there it gets a bit chaotic, I have plastic sleeves to protect papers from wear and I can use the dry erase markers to make notes. I need to go back through and organize/swap out the pages.
     It starts off with dungeon/ruin environmental hazards, a few more ruins related pages (from Aeons n Auguries) as well as page on generating random terrain. Then some d30 random tables (courtesy of New Big Dragon Games) and then it descends into several bits and bobs including the Labyrinth Lord equipment table and copy of the YE Fast Pack page from B4 Lost City. At the end, we have my copy of Everyone Everywhere and Shady Dragon Inn.
     What happens is I end up not using it, so my new goal is to take it apart and put it back together so that it has an ease of use. Anyone out there have their own GM notebook, or your own idea of what it should contain? Leave a comment below and we'll see what we can come up with.

3 comments:

  1. I like to copy paste all the tables and quick facts to a single sheet of paper and print it.
    Also google search character art print outs for npc descriptions etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, something to think about.

      Delete
  2. I use onenote and have entirely too much stuff in there. the search in onenote make it so fast to find. That reminds me I need to find a mutation table.

    ReplyDelete