Sunday, April 6, 2014

April Artifice, number two

     So, like many people out there, I entered the "So you to be an OSR superstar?" contest over at Tenkar's Tavern. I did not make it to the second round, but I figured I would share my first entry with you.

     St. Vincent's silvered mace
     +1, +3 vs. lycanthropes usable only by clerics and paladins
     Resembles a typical mace, the only difference being this is silver.

     A high ranking cleric among the church, Vincent retired from public life to live out his remaining years at a monastery out in the country. One evening a band of were creatures, led by a were bear named Gristle Gut attacked the order, killing all but Vincent and one other monk. He and the brother recovered and, after tracking them, laid holy vengeance upon the vile beasts. Gristle Gut was the last to fall to Vincent's mace, caving his skull in. They say the mace can sense when lycanthropes are near, and if a were bear is present, a madness may fall upon the wielder.

     In addition to the bonuses to hit/damage, the possessor of the mace know when lycanthropes are about as he can see a flickering aura about them. If a were bear is present he must make a save or fall into a berserk rage, attacking the beast until it or the wielder is dead. Lawful allies may also see an aura around were creatures present, though it is weaker and therefore gives only a +1.

     So that was it, though I had left the history bit out (and therefore the part about were bears) due to my misreading the rules of the first round. I learned I need to pay closer attention, next time I will do better! Take care everyone and I hope this has been of some use to someone out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment