Sunday, June 15, 2014

Origins 2014: Day Four

     It should read "Day Four-The Final Hour", since I made it to the con and realized I had forgotten my badge. So back home and worked out a plan where partner in crime (the wife) drops me off and runs a couple errands with the kids while I go in and say my goodbyes.

     I stopped to congratulate Jason Hardy on Shadowrun fifth edition getting the Origins fan favorite rpg award. Look at this guys, he knows where his towel is.
I took my leave and then said adieu to these folks
Tony Steele
Kay Steele
      These two are amazing, as artists and human beings, plus they put up with my grousing about teenagers (of which I still have one) Mr. Steele won the award for best professional digital color work (Baseball Monster), so congratulations, sir!

Next stop, Demon central!
Heather Kreiter, Queen of demonic steeds!
     Heather has recently taken the step into working on her own stuff, and with the popularity of her My Little Demons, who could blame her. I am sad the pic came out a little blurry, but I was worried I would run out of time. What can I say that has not already been said.

Across the way, I found a familiar Leezard
Kirk "Leezard" Hardtle
          Kirk works in his Liquid Leezard studio, lately he has been zombifying different characters to great effect. Plus he is just a fun guy to hang out with, just look at his partner perched on my shoulder there.

I then spotted someone returning to his table....
A blurry Scott Frank
     He typically shares digs (read-table) with the Steele's but was gone when I first arrived. Scott does a lot with miniature painting and 3d printing, great designs. Makes me want to get my own 3d printer. Then I realize I don't have the money, nor the skill. Mr. Frank, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Next is the father/son duo of...
James (left) and Bill Stolpin
     Bill is fantastic, whether he illustrating dragons or painting a watercolor landscape. Unfortunately I never asked what James does, I guess that means I should interview them sometime. Ooh, something to look forward to!

Douglas Bushong
     Here is Douglas Bushong, 3d image and animation master. He has these awesome little viewers that work like the view masters from when I was a kid. A great guy with some wonderful skills, he has a pretty wicked sense of humor as well.

     Said goodbye to the delightful Jeff Carlisle, but due to his popularity and the fact he was in a tiny space, I did not get a picture with him. His natural good looks probably would have broken my camera anyways.
Andy Hopp
     Next to last, we have Andy Hopp, weirdo extraordinaire. I finally caught him alone at his booth, his thousands of adoring fans had been temporarily sated. This undergraduate of the unusual is at the top of his game. This is another hoopy frood who knows where his towel is.

Finally, we have...
Charles Urbach
     This man always has a crowd showering him with acclaim, I can't believe he hasn't collapsed under the weight of it all. It was during this time that I got the message that my ride was outside. I said my goodbyes, snapped a picture and dashed out of there. Maybe not quite like that, but you get the idea.

     All in all it was a marvelous four days hanging out with friends, making new ones and relaxing. I could leave knowing I had not wasted my time, maybe other people's but I was alright. Plus, I still had the rest of Father's Day to come, woohoo! Take care everyone.



No comments:

Post a Comment