Monday, July 7, 2014

Happy Birthday USA! Also, I'm sick *bleargh*

     Holiday weekend here in the states, lots of parades, fireworks and cookouts. The annoying part is I started to get sick partway through it all. Saturday I thought it was allergies, now I feel like my head is constantly being squeezed, so it is probably in my sinuses. Enough of that, let's see what is happening in gaming.

     D&D Basic dropped on the third, with the pdf being available here, I downloaded it and skimmed through it a couple of times. Looked good, they give you just enough to whet your appetite, five backgrounds (starting on page 36; acolyte,criminal, folk hero, sage, and soldier) two sub races per non human race (starting on page 11; dwarf-hill and mountain, elf-high and wood, halfling-lightfoot and stout) The cleric starts with the life domain, and the wizard entry has the evocation school of magic. The fighter has six fighting styles (archery, defense, dueling, great-weapon fighting, protection, and two-weapon fighting) and though the rogue only includes one archetype, the thief. I am sure I am missing something here, but that's how it goes when you are ill.

     So, I had not planned to get the starter set, but when I heard that they had been selling out I checked my flgs and they still had two, so of course I snatched one up. As Mike Mearls mentioned, it has no character creation rules, since those are in the basic pdf, but there is plenty of things for running the adventure included. I am currently going through the starter box between bouts of nose-blowing and grumbling/coughing.

     When I am sick, I usually make a nest so things I want to read are within easy reach, when I am not crashed asleep in bed.

     Well, enough of that, anyone out there want to drop a comment, feel free to do so. I am hoping to be back to my old self in a day or so. Take care everyone!
    

2 comments:

  1. Do you plan on running D&D significantly when the books drop, or are you sticking to the games you currently use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit it, I am tempted to run/play D&D when it drops, but I plan on continuing to try and get people to play some of the other games out there. Retro clones like Labyrinth Lord, Mutant Future, Lamentations, and the wild Dungeon Crawl Classics!

      Delete