Saturday, April 19, 2014

Kickstarters and you

     I love Kickstarter, but recently I had a strange revelation. I got my copy of Weird Wars Rome from Pinnacle Games and did not have the urge run out and run it. Part of it could be my recent run of Savage Worlds games that have fallen through (probably a large part) but a part of it I think is the time between the end of the Kickstarter and when you get the product. I did receive the pdf for WWR, which I glanced through and then forgot about, so it was not like I had nothing until receiving  the package. Just sometimes that gap is enough to let the mood slip by.


     Which leads me to my real issue. Goodman Games Metamorphosis Alpha. Oversize hardback reprint of the original product with additional material from Jim Ward himself. The first pledge levels are about posters, dice bags, and adventure modules. To get the book you plunk down eighty dollars, which it is worth that I am sure, but why not throw in a pdf somewhere in the lower echelons. In the video from Gary Con they state that you can pick up the pdf, I am alright with that but to get the notes, magazine articles and extras from Mr. Ward and company, I am stuck with the hardback. Enough of that, let's move on.


     Mobile Frame Zero 002: Alpha Bandit is in it's final week, fully funded and ready to go. If I had the cash to throw around, I would go all in, maybe I will dip my toe in. Next in line we have Guild of Shadows, a thieves guild campaign for Savage Worlds. It looks pretty cool, something for those players who want to be in an all thieves guild game. I would be tempted to use information from the book in conjunction with the main rules, so that any thieves or swindlers in the party can do something on the side.
     A little something to check out and think about, happy Saturday folks!

1 comment:

  1. I've only backed 6-8 Kickstarter projects as I've scaled back on my RPG book purchases over the past year. I can see how the excitement can wane over time--a similar example is GenCon hype for a release only to have those of us that don't go having to wait another 2-3 months for the product to ship.

    ReplyDelete