Saturday, May 19, 2018

New Appendix N Books?

     Made a trip to the bigger of the two local used bookshops, and could not resist finishing off my Fritz Leiber books. Also found Jack Vance's Eyes of the Overworld, woot!
     Just finished the Fafhrd and Gray Mouser book Swords and Ice Magic last night, what a read! The climax was fantastic, with lasting consequences for the duo. I enjoy when there is a bit of continuity in a series (too much can be obstructive, just ask Marvel and DC) and Leiber threw references to their past experiences, but not to the point of losing a reader who had skipped some stories.

     In terms of things to use at the game table, there seems to be different types of will o the wisps. It could be something to stat up for a session to make things interesting.

     I am thinking that the next book I read will be Burroughs Tarzan of the Apes, mainly to get a feel for a jungle setting that I can use for a region I am working on for a game. Plus, somehow I have never read any Tarzan, so there you go. Please leave a comment and let me know what you think, have you read any of these stories? Any opinions about them?

2 comments:

  1. I have read all of those stories; enjoy!

    ERB is not the greatest stylist in the world, but his stories pop with energy that is worth trying to replicate at the game table. He relies a lot on coincidence. He is also good at providing monster ideas (esp. in his Sword and Planet series, but not exclusively). I have read all of the Tarzan books, and enjoy them all, but I wouldn't read them back-to-back. Some are definitely better than others.

    For jungle ideas, you may wish to read some of Howard's Solomon Kane stories that use Africa as their backdrop, but I would recommend most of all seeking out whatever Rider Haggard you can find.

    I commend to you also, the Appendix N Book Club Podcast, which is worth listening to.

    https://appendixnbookclub.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always great to hear from you, just listened to the Appendix N Book Club Fellowship of the Ring episode. Great podcast, especially when they have great guests on to discuss the various books. I do have a copy of Haggard's She and will definitely be on the lookout for those Howard Solomon Kane stories. Take care, hope to meet you one of these days.

      Delete